One year ago today we were in the midst of Day 1 of our 1MISSION House Build Trip in Mexico. Our group of fourteen from Wilmington, Ohio, flew to Phoenix, Arizona, and then drove to Rocky Point, Mexico, to build a house for Miguel and Deysi. We were excited and also somewhat nervous about this new experience. It turned out to be a great trip and one we still talk about.
While some of our group had done some traveling and others had participated in mission trips, none of us had traveled to Mexico to build a house. I remember looking through the house plans 1MISSION sent in advance of our trip and wondering if our group of inexperienced house builders could do the job. The group was fantastic, working hard every day, doing whatever needing done and trusting our crew leaders so we did things the right way. We wanted that house standing after we left!
Looking back at pictures I was reminded of so many things:
– new friendships with Miguel & Deysi, Ricky and others from 1MISSION
– getting a small taste of what life is like in that area of Mexico
– the great work that 1MISSION is doing
– the privilege of playing a small part in that work
– seeing our Ohio friends interact with Miguel & Deysi and others in Mexico despite a language barrier
– being grateful for what we have and how big God’s kingdom is
I know many in our group would love to go back in the future. While it’s hard to believe that the trip was a year ago, it was a great opportunity and one for which I am.
I posted this video when we returned from the trip and it offers a visual recap of some of our experiences.