On his Growing Leaders blog, Tim Elmore posted these real answers that students put on exams. The answers are from middle school, high school and college students. Many are quite creative and will provide a good chuckle for your day.
I think my favorites are numbers 1 and 2, although you have to wonder what the teacher thought when reading these responses.
1. Biology class: Name six animals that live specifically in the arctic.
A: Two polar bears and four seals.
2. Chemistry class: What is a nitrate?
A: It is much cheaper than a day rate.
3. Business and Technology class: Explain the phrase “free press.”
A: When your mom irons your pants for you.
4. Biology class discussion about veins: What is the meaning of the word “varicose”?
A: Close by.
5. Physics: Is the sun or the moon more important?
A: The moon gives us light at night when we need it. The sun only provides light in the day when we don’t need it. Therefore, the moon is more important.
6. Earth science: Over the last fifty years there has been a significant change in the concentration of carbon dioxide. Give a reason for this.
A: It’s easily distracted.
7. Business management class: What is a partnership?
A: A ship that takes two people to drive.
8. Biology class: What does “terminal illness” mean?
A: When you become ill at the airport.
9. Business: Define the term “stakeholder.”
A: Someone who hunts vampires. Buffy being the most famous.
10. Athletic Application: Church preference?
A: Red brick.