Syd had the opportunity to participate in the Nike Skills Camp in Indianapolis last April. It was an invitation-only event and she was in camp with some talented girls. It sounded like a good experience, both for skill development and hearing from others who have been involved in women’s basketball on both the college and professional level.
Ganon Baker directed the camp and shared his thoughts on the Indy camp and another one he directed in Oregon. You can read all of his comments on his blog, but there were several things that jumped out at me as I read his recap. They apply not only to basketball players, but to everyone. These are thoughts from some of the speakers that shared at the camps.
– Every time you are in front of the media you have a chance to represent your team, family, and yourself
– You get 1 chance to make a first impression, so have a presence, self-confidence.
– Best gift you were given was your Name!!
– Be honest with yourself, family, and teammates. Everything you say will be recorded so whatever you say will live forever!! Think about it!!
– No one is successful by themselves
– Sports teaches you how to win and handle disappointments
– The hardest part of making a decision is telling someone no!
– Watch your body language, somebody is always watching you
– You represent your God, family ,team, school, and self.
– Ladies, clean up your twitter/facebook pages – you are always on record! (That applies to guys, too!)